Potenza

Hotels Potenza
- Restaurants - Typical Products -
In the following century Potenza attracted merchants and men of letters, thereby further increasing its own prestige. In 1268, after strenuous resistance against the Angevins, Potenza was pillaged and its walls demolished. Two years later, 150 families that had fled following the pillaging ere allowed to return by Charles of Anjou. This led to the economic reveal of the city which was, however, hit by an earthquake in 1273.
The rebuilt city was now a rather modest, peripheral centre relying on agriculture as its main source of income. Such shaky economic conditions prevented the development and growth of Potenza, which, starting from 1301, fell under the sway of various families until Alfonso of Aragon gave it to Innico Guavara. The Guevara family greatly contributed to the cultural and artistic renaissance of the city: at the end of the 15th century the family funded the restoration of the church of Santa Maria del Sepotcro and the building of the nearby convent, while in the 16th century the family had the ancient San Franresco convent rebuilt.
In 1621 Beatrice Guevara presented the Capuchins of Sant'Antonio la Macchia convent with the castle, later. The painter Antonio Stabile was active in Potentia in the latter half of the 16th century. He had studied under Silvestro Buono and his works gained currency throughout the region. In 1609 Giovanni Di Gregorio decorated the cloisters of the San Francesco cloisters. He also left several other paintings in many of the local churches. In 1694 the city was devastated by yet another serious earthquake.
Potenza also proposes a wide choice in the tourist accommodation sector.

The realization of these pages was possible thanks to the contribution of the APT Basilicata