Crotone

Hotels Crotone
- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -

Peter II Russo gained the marquis' title in the ligth. century. In 1799 Crotone sided with the Parthenope' Republic and suffered the sack from the Holy Faith's Brasses but in 1808, come back faithful to Ferdinand of Bourbon, Crotone held out for long months against a French siege. During the years thirty of our century Crotone has become an industrial town and today is the chief town of the province. Of the Greek city remains the stately column of Era Lacinia's temple, surrounded by the remains of the sanctuary and by the medieval buildings. Imposing is the mass of the castle named of Charles V in which is also located a furnished archaeological museum. Numerous are the churches: Madonna di Capocolonna, Santa Chiara, Immacolata, the Cathedral, San Giuseppe. At the baroque district and some 18th. and 19th. centuriespalaces such as Morelli, Albani, Guinteri, Giunti, Olivieri, Zurlo, Berlingeri, Barracco are worth visiting. Grandiose is the septennial feast of Madonna di Capo Colonna followed by folk-festivities (in the first ten days of May). Heart-felt are the processions of San Michele Arcangelo (September, 29th), of San Dionigi (October, 7th and 8th). The summer in Crotone becomes cheerful with sailing-regattas and athletic manifestations.