- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
It was the ancient Hipponion, originally a Sicilian centre, later colonized by the people from Locri who built the temples for the cult of Proserpina. In the course of ages Vibo Valentia was contended among Syracusans, Locrians and Bruzzis, until it became a Roman colony with the name of Vibo Valentia in 192 b.C. It was the theatre of the fights between Cesar and Pompeius, Octavian and Sextus, and later between the Byzantines, the Saracens and the Normans.
It always had a great military and commercial importance, thanks to its strategic location and the intense activity of its harbour. The Saracens half destroyed Valentia twice, in 850 and in 983. Roger the Norman, who built here a castle later extended by Carlo II d'Angiò (1289), let Valentia decline chosing the neighbouring Mileto as the capital of the country and the episcopal seat. After a period of total isolation, it was rebuilt by Frederick II in 1235. It was called Monteleone, then it rightly started to gain its fame as a cultural centre, which it kept until the age of Napoleon. Gioacchino Murat made it the capital of Calabria Ultra, before being deposed and executed by the Bourbons. The town became one of the feuds of the Cooracciolos, the Brancaccios and the Pignatellis. The fascist decree of january 4th 1928 gave Monteleone the Roman name of Vibo Valentia again.
Vibo Valentia Marina - It is a renowned seaside resort characterized by a growing building and industrial development. Its harbour is very important for the region economy, as it used to be in the past (it was built by Agatocle of Siracusa in the third century b.C.). Pleasure boats too dock here.
Trainiti Archaeological Zone
Vibo Valentia accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Vibo Valentia holiday in Hotel
Hotels Calabria - Tirrenic Coast