- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Ferrara, City of the Renaissance, and its Po Delta
Comacchio still presents its original features as a lagoon town, crossed and surrounded by water for most of its perimeter. Governed by the Church first and by the Este family successively (1325), in 1598 it became part of the Holy See jurisdiction.
The Comacchio littoral stretches for over 23 kilometres. Its seven sea-side resorts offer different ways to enjoy holidays close to nature: hotels, apartments and restaurants open the whole year round and well-integrated to the Park natural environment. Going from North to South along the coastline: Lido di Volano, Lido delle Nazioni, Lido di Pomposa, Lido degli Scacchi, Porto Garibaldi, Lido degli Estensi and Lido di Spina.
Trepponti Bridge a monumental structure, made of Pietra d'Istria stone and terracotta, built in 1634 following a plan by the architect Luca Danese. It is characterised by three front- and two back staircases, and by two square-based towers in its rising part. Fish Market: built in 1600, it is one of the town's oldest buildings.
Museo del Carico della Nave Romana: in the Comacchio centre, it is possible to visit the section of the Museo delle Culture Umane nel Delta del Po dedicated to the Comacchio Roman Ship. This museum houses a rich collection of religious objects, work tools and the load found on board of the ship.
Ponte degli Sbirri: this terracotta bridge rises between Palazzo Bellini, the ancient prison and the former San Camillo Hospital. San Camillo Hospital: begun in 1778, the building presents a neoclassic facade. On its left side, it houses the Chiesa dello Spatal dedicated to Saint Peter. Palazzo Bellini, 19th century, aristocratic residence houses the Comacchio Art Gallery, Library and Historical Archives. Loggia dei Mercanti: former corn storehouse at the heart of the town, commissioned in 1621 by Cardinal Legato Giacomo Serra. Torre dell'Orologio: built in the first half of the 19th century, this tower has an irregular octagonal plan and a basement in Pietra d'Istria stone.
Concattedrale di San Cassiano: built in the 17th century on the remains of the older cathedral dating back to 708. Loggiato dei Cappuccini: the Capuchin arcade, made of 142 arches, was built in 1647 to link the town centre to the Sanctuary of Santa Maria in Aula Regia, known since the 12th century, it is located in the western part of the town. Next to it lies the Museo Mariano.
Chiesa SS. Rosario: this church, built in 1618, contains valuable works of art. Rione San Pietro: this charming quarter still presents all the typical features of a town linked to water.
Comacchio accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Comacchio holiday in Hotel
Hotels Lidi di Comacchio
Hotels Parco Delta del Po