- Restaurants - Shopping - Typical Products - Services -
Ferrara, City of the Renaissance, and its Po Delta
Some scholars maintain that the name Ostellato signifies a place to take a break. The territory of Vallone, Quinta, Punta Schč and the area close to the sugar refinery contain archaeological remains from the Roman era. The land around Ostellato has undergone a number of changes of name. The Estense Signoria extended its estate up to this area, also erecting certain prestigious and delightful buildings such as the Medelana, which today is known as the Villa del Buono; Lucrezia Borgia and Pietro Bembo resided there as subsequently did Marfisa d'Este and Torquato Tasso.
Following the devolution of the Estense Duchy to the Papal State in 1598, this area slowly and progressively became swampy, undermining the social and economic development of the locality. Seeking to rid these lands of the scourge of malaria, it was decided to flood it with seawater: with the cutting of the embankments, the valleys were completely flooded. In the XVII century, this was the cause of a serious conflict with Comacchio concerning fishing regulations.
In 1708 during the Austrian occupation, Ostellato was subjugated and suffered significant losses, both economically and in terms of human lives. After these events, in 1744, it was decided to resolve the differences with Comacchio over fishing with an agreement which assigned fishing rights to the people of Comacchio while the people of Ostellato received an annual payment in compensation. With succeeding governments, the valleys were awarded to Comacchio and Ostellato had to await the Italian Unification for the recovery of its lost territory.
Ostellato accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Ostellato holiday in Hotel
Hotels Parco Delta del Po