- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Gorizia, whose name was first documented in 1001, was the seat of a large and powerful country. At the death of the last count, in 1500, the city and its territory passed to the Austrian Royan Family, in whose hands they remained, excepted for the period of Venetian domination in 1508 and Napoleon's domination from 1809 to 1813, until the Great War. What remains of the old lords is the majestic castle built on a hill, which has become the symbol of the city. On the hill there is also the small church of Santo Spirito, dating back to 1398. Gorizia's best known church is the church of Sant'Ignazio, built by the Jesuits in the second half of the 17th century.
Palazzo Attems Petzenstein, finished in 1754 on Pacassi's design, is a majestic building. Mention has to be made of Palazzo Lantieri, an ancient small castle owned by the counts. A number of halls and the large park with centuries-old trees of Palazzo Conorini-Cronberg (1597), containing precious furnishings, have been opened to the public. Other building of architectural value include the 18th century Town Hall, the Archbishop's palace, the 17th century Palazzo Werdenberg, seat of the civic library, Palazzo Strassoldo and the former Seminary, an imposing building placed in a dominating position now belonging to the university. Walks can be enjoyed in the Piuma-Isonzo Park, with very fine views of the river flowing through the Gorizia.
Gorizia accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Gorizia holiday in Hotel