The name Opicina has Celtic origins and should have the meaning of rock. The first quotation goes back to documents of the year 1308, where the name Optchena is reported. Till the beginning of this century, Opicina had been prevalently a rural village and only later it became also a commercial and handcraft center. The church situated in the center of the town is dedicated to San Bartolomeo. From the Obelisk of Opicina there is an extensive view of the hills densely packed with buildings and of the port, whilst in the distance it is possible to make out the coast as far as Muggia and Punta Sottile with Istria standing out clearly in the background.
Opicina is an important road junction as from here starts the road to LjubIjana (Slovenia) and to Rijeka (Croatia).