- Restaurants - Typical Products -
History and tourism. The territory of Buttrio is, on its north-east side, characterized by slight hills where wine is grown, while to the south-west opens into a fertile plain. Recent archeological researches have come up with the fact that the land has already been inhabited in prehistoric times. The first documents of Buttrio are going back to about 1000, when for the first time the name Buttrium is mentioned by the presence of a castle on top of the hill that overlooks the inhabited area. In the course of the centuries, the castle was destroyed and rebuilt several times, fought about by the Patriarchs and the counts of Gorizia.
Today, of the antique castle remains only the small church S. Gervasio of the 14th century; the construction known as Villa Morpurgo goes back to the 18th century and its little towers to the 19th century. In the following centuries its territories passed under the Serenissima and suffered the raids of the Turkey.
Monuments to visit are the Parish Church S. Maria (18th century), the little church S. Giacomo in Camino (13th century), the noble villa Masieri-Florio (17th century), and the villa Toppo-Florio (building of the 18th century with a great, romantic park, rich of beautiful plants and Roman findings; in the Villa the Civil Museum of Wine can be found: a big collection of tools that serve to grow grapes and to make wine). And for moments of relax we remember the Regional Fair of Wine, held during the first days of May with a historic contest of the barrels, an international marathon, and a soccer tournament for the youth. To mention also the Granfondo of Friuli (in June), the international base ball tournament (August), the choir parade Cjantin insieme (February), and the Singing Festival for children "In Arte Buri" (December).
Buttrio accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Buttrio holiday in Hotel