- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Marmirolo is cited for the first time in an historical document from 970. It initially belonged to the Canossa line to then become, in 1055, property of the Gonzaga family, noble landowners of that epoch; during this period, the territory was divided into three villages: Castello, Lame and Ronchi. In the summer of 1328, a plot was being hatched at Ronchi against the Bonacolosi family, which led the Gonzaga to totally conquer Mantua. It should perhaps be specified that the Gonzaga family already owned numerous palaces and lands in the area before becoming their signori.
Amongst the buildings built at their wish, there is the palace commissioned by Gianfrancesco Gonzaga in 1435 which was then to be enlarged and decorated years later by great artists such as Mantegna; unfortunately between 1756 and 1798, the building was completely destroyed. Geographically, the Marmirolo territory is located in the middle Po Valley and is crossed by the river Mincio which, through its detritus of gravel and sands, has always been an incentive for excavation, making both Marmirolo as well as other surrounding places amongst the most important in the province of Mantua. Also the cultivation and the processing of the excavated mineral substances are very important activities for Marmirolo. The Bosco della Fontana woodlands is of great naturalistic importance for the town; it is spread over about 230 hectares of territory and every year is chosen as a holiday destination both by tourists as well as by school parties; as well as its natural attractions, it also offers the possibilities of countless different pastimes. Marmirolo is a town which is undeniably tied to various sports activities, amongst which skiing, volleyball and cycling; the new sports centre has just been opened. Thanks to the presence of the Virgilio Canal, a deviation of the river Mincio, sport fishing is popular, with frequent competitions at an international level.
Things to see at Marmirolo: the Palazzina di Bosco della Fontana located in the central piazza of the town, constructed on top of the remains of a former construction; the parish church of Saints Filippo and Giacomo (Philip and James) of 1748, also built on the base of a pre-existing church, housing in its interiors works of the painter FrÓ Semplice; it is also possible to visit the Palazzo Gonzaghesco, a prestigious hunting lodge of the Gonzaga Family. Another fundamental resource for the town is its culinary tradition, at Marmirolo, the Grana Padano cheese is produced, the gastronomic product which is most representative of the local gastronomy.
Marmirolo accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Marmirolo holiday in Hotel
Hotels Parco del Mincio