The duty free area
- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
The duty free area of Livigno
As Livigno once represented an obligatory passage for commercial traffic passing from the then Venetian Republic (Lombardy) to the Hapsburg Empire (Austria-Hungary) and from the Valtellina to the Engadina, its history has been marked by a series of attempts to control it.
However, its inhabitants fought to attain independence and in fact, in the 1600's the "Grigioni", the rulers of the valley, established complete economic and legal independence for Livigno.
Later on, given its geographical position, Livigno was given custom benefits by Napoleon in 1805, confirmed again by the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1818, by Italy in 1910 and by the EEC in 1960.