- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Sestriere, known in ancient times as "ad Petram Sextariam" or "Sestreram", was originally an area of small sheepfarming communities. In the Napoleonic era, the road through Sestriere was made suitable for vehicles, and a roadmans house was build in the mideighteenth century. The first hotel was completed in 1921, and in 1924 the Chapel of the Madonna Regina Pacis was inaugurated. In 1930, Senator Giovanni Agnelli, a native of Villar Perosa, and his son Edoardo had the idea of creating a major ski resort in Sestriere. Hence cable cars were installed, and the famous Towers and large hotels build. It was thus that, in the space of just a few years, a new internationally important was born.
Today Sestriere is one of the most famous winter sports and summer holiday resort in the Alps. It is situated at an altitude of 2035 metres on the hill of the same name which joins Chisone and High Susa valleys, a matter of kilometres from the French border. The municipality of Sestriere consist of four districts: Sestriere Colle, Sestriere Borgata, Champlas du Col and Champlas Janvier. With its ski runs, its major summer and winter events and activities golf course, the highest in Europe, Sestriere is renowned all over the world as a place with something for everyone not just sports fans.
Sestriere accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Sestriere holiday in Hotel
Hotels Susa Valley
Hotels Upper Susa Valley