Lake Maggiore

Museum and monuments

Hotels Lake Maggiore
- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Museum and monuments

The Colossus of St. Carlo Borromeo: this is a gigantic copper statue, erected in 1697, after a drawing by G.B. Crespi, also known as Cerano. The statue is located on a hill overlooking the town of Arona and measures 33 mt. in height, pedastal included. Up to six people can fit into its head alone and one has a marvellous view from its eyes.
The Umbrella and Parasol Museum in Gignese, that displays a rare collection of umbrellas and parasols of all ages, as also the tools used by umbrella makers (Iusciatt) to create umbrellas and to repair them. The Landscape Museum is located in the Sixteenth - Seventeenth Century Viani Dugnani Palace of Verbania Pallanza and its halls contain a pictorial section with paintings by painters of the second half of the nineteenth Century of the first half of the twentyth Century such as: Luigi Litta, Eugenio Gignous, Guido Boggiani, Achille Tominetti, Carlo Fornara, Mario Tozzi, Arnaldo Ferraguti, Daniele Ranzoni. In the sculpture section one will find the works of Giuliano Branca, Arturo Martini, besides a collection of chalk works of the impressionist sculptor Paolo Troubetzkoy.
At Lake Maggiore, there is tourist accommodation available in hotels, farm holiday, farmhouse, residence self-catering accommodation, mountain chalets, b&b, rooms for rent, holiday homes, camp sites and tourist villages.