- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Arona is an important commercial and tourist town, railway and road junction and lake port. Former Roman resort, during the Middle Age if was the demain of the Visconti and later, from 1439 to 1797 of the Borromeo. In the 13th century a castle was built, the remains of which can stlll be seen on the Rocca, which drops sheer to the lake. It was the home of St. Carlo Borromeo (1538-84), whose huge brass and bronze statue rises behind the town; it was built in 1697 by Bernardo Falconi and Siro Zanelli.
In the centre, visit the church of SS. Martiri, originally romanic, with baroque facade and neoclassic interior, where a painting by Bergognone, 16th century glass windows and a painting by Palma the Younger (16th century) can be found; the Collegiate church of Santa Maria, renaissance style, with a polyptych by Gaudenzio Ferrari (1511); the Manneristic church of Madonna di Piazza, attributed to Pellegrino Tibaldi (1592), in the 17th century Beolchi Chapel and the 15th century Court Palace, with pointed-arch portico. In Dagnente, the tombs of Felice Cavallotti, Paolo Troubetzkoy and Luigi Conconi. Lake Maggiore boat service.
Arona accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Arona holiday in Hotel
Hotels Lake Maggiore