- Restaurants - Shopping - Typical Products -
Rutigliano’s fame took root during the Byzantium Empire, above all in the commercial sector which included the export of cereals to a number of cities of the Eastern Empire; from 1435 to1860, until the Unification of Italy, it was subject to the rule of the Aragonese and the Bourbons. Of particular interest, there is the architectural heritage of the town, testified to by the presence of many religious buildings, including the church Santa Maria della Colonna built at about the end of the 11th century by Hugh the Norman, preserving inside the polyptych by Vivarini.
In Battisti square, there is the Bugnata Tower (Byzantine-Norman), quadrangular in shape and 34 metres high. It is also possible to admire: the Church of the Immacolata, the Church of St. Anna which preserves a painting by Rosa from Bitonto, the Church of the Carmine with the sculptures of St. Lorenzo and the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie which houses some works by Miglioncino dating back to the 19th century. Today, it is possible to admire some remains of both the circle of walls which enclosed the historical centre and of the three historical gates of entry to the town. The 16th century Palazzo Antonelli is of particular interest, as is, 6 km away, the Church of Sant'Apollinare which is in Byzantine style.
Rutigliano is characterised by the artsianship of ceramics and terracotta, in particular for the fact that it preserves intact the production of whistles in terracotta; according to an ancient popular tradition, the whistle has the ability to keep away evil influences. On the first day of Carnival, on 17th February, Rutigliano celebrates a special show of the whistle which is visited by tourists and collectors. Rutigliano will offer you its hospitality and a warm welcome, as well as a wide section.
Rutigliano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Rutigliano holiday in Hotel