The history of the territory of Campomarino, a town in the Molise region which overlooks the Adriatic Sea, dates back to the IX-XVIII centuries B.C. In 1456, the town was badly damaged by an earthquake and was almost completely deserted: in the XV century, however, Campomarino was repopulated by Albanian refugees who were forced to leave their native land by the advance of the Turks into the Balkans. After numerous governments, in 1503, the power passed to the Di Sangro family, the last to be in possession of the town.
Today Campomarino, as well as being one of the more popular seaside resorts, is an important port for tourism and for fishing. North and south of the port, there are wonderful, peaceful beaches. The church of Santa Maria a Mare, in the centre of today's town, is the most important of the town: it was built between the XII and the XIII centuries in Romanesque style. The most ancient remains are the apses and the crypt: for some parts of the interior of the latter, some Roman elements were used to good effect, including some capitals with plant motifs; inside the crypt there is also a fresco from the fourteen hundreds portraying San Nicola and San Demetrio, the latter depicted as he fights against the Moors.
Campomarino accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Campomarino holiday in Hotel