- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Some scholars state that the name Cutrofiano derives from the Greek and means "Village where terracotta pots are made" ("Cutra" in ancient Sicilian Greek meant exactly "Clay Pot"). The figuline art always distinguishes this place, as the numerous archaeological finds of our Museum of Pottery testify, which conserve the important heritage left by the Messapians, (Vth century B.C.), the Greeks, the Byzantines.
The old town centre is very suggestive thanks to its paved narrow streets, white painted little houses, and balconies full of flowers. Remarkable is the old ducal Palace. In 1270 this ancient building was given from king Carlo Ist of Angiò to his relative Galchero de Merniaco, and in 1325 the Palace was then bought by Raimondo del Balzo. The year 1480 was remembered for the furious devastation made by the Turks. Artistically remarkable are also Calò Palace, Bucci Palace in Filomarini Street, the nineteenth century portals in Gorizia and Bovio Streets. The main Church is dedicated to S. Maria della Neve and has been reconstructed and enlarged in 1895.
Cutrofiano today is also an important shoe-centre with many shops. Cutrofiano garden parks have the typical Mediterranean vegetation and are a cue for beautiful walks. About half way between the Ionian and Adriatic sea, Cutrofiano makes the distance from the sea towns easier; they are reachable within 20 minutes: Otranto, Gallipoli, Porto Cesareo, Torre dell'Orso.
Cutrofiano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Cutrofiano holiday in Hotel