- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
In Roman times Muravera was undoubtedly a staging point on the road which ran along the
East coast of the Island. During the Middle Ages, this territory belonged to the administrative
area of Colostrai, in the Judgeship ("Giudicato") of Cagliari, and it contained numerous
inhabited centres such as Villa Petrera, Villa Archiepiscopu and Villa Surrui.
At the end of the XIII century, it was incorporated into the Judgeship of Gallura;
subsequently, it came under Pisan rule, which lasted until the Aragonese conquest of 1324,
when it passed as a feudal holding to the Carroz family. It then passed to the Centelles and
Osorio families, until the abolition of feudal holdings in 1839. It was always subjected to
Moorish pirate raids, which led to the depopulation of the coastal areas, for the defence of
which in the XVII century the
watch towers of Dieci Cavalli, Saline, Capo Ferrato and Cala Pira were built.
In the town again, the visitor should stop by the Parish Church of San Nicola di Bari, built in
Gothic-Catalan style, but restructured during the XVI century. The Church houses a wooden
figure of San Sebastiano in gilt and polychrome, sculpted by Scipione Aprile in 1603. The
small country chapel of San Priamo (on the outskirts of Muravera) is curious and has some
ethnographic interest; it is surrounded by the "cumbessia" (resting rooms for the faithful who
slept overnight). Religious festivals include those of Sant'Agostino (celebrated at the end of
August) and the Patron San NicolÚ (6 December).
At Muravera, during the traditional local festivities, the ancient costume is still worn and the
inhabitants dance in the square to the sound of "launeddas" (ancient reed musical
instrument). At the end of the winter season there is the "Citrus Fruit Festival", an occasion
for interesting and varied folklore