In addition, Salina, owing to its central position, constitutes, during the Summer season, a centre for excursions to the other Aeolian islands.
On the whole the island is very picturesque and it is easy to admire its panoramic beauty owing to the efficient road network, which connects the various localities. Of particular interest are the coastal carriageable roads connecting Santa Marina Salina, the largest centre of the island, with Lingua (to the South) and Malfa (to the North West). No less interesting, from the panoramic point of view, is the road which crosses the Vallonazzo, the enchanting Valdichiesa (saddle at 285 m. a.s.l.), rich in vienyards, and the Valle dei Giovi. This road connects the landing stage of Rinella with Leni and, subsequently, with Malfa. Along the road emerges, in a
dominant position, the well known Sanctuary of the Madonna del Terzito, which dates back to the early date of 1630 and which, from then, constitutes the goal of frequent pilgrimages.
The sea surrounding the island is rich with fish fauna. The fishing of "cicirella", sauria, anchovies, sardines, "pesantoni", "occhiate" and of "ope" is abundant. The fishing of sword fish is carried out with excellent results. The remarkable natural patrimony of the mountains Fossa delle Felci and dei Porri has been protected by an oriented natural reserve, created to allow an armonic development between vegetable and animal species. Also the island of Salina has had considerable importance during the Bronze Age. There have been identified two establishments of that Age on the Eastern coast. The first on the Serra dei Cianfi which flourished during the Age of Capo Graziano (between the XVIII and the XV century B.C.) and at the beginning of the successive Age of the Milazzese (after 1400 B.C.). The second in a much more inaccessible position but more suitable for the defence of the Portella on the road Santa Marina-Malfa. This latter flourished entirely during the Milazzese Age and has been violently destroyed perhaps around the year 1270
B.C. (material of the excavations is at the Aeolian Museum of Lipari). Traces of an establishment of the VI-V century B.C. at
Serro dell'Acqua. A Greek habitation of the IV century B.C. and later, lasting until the imperial Roman Age, was on the site
of the present city of Santa Marina. One sees traces of houses along the beach. On the mountain side of the city were found numerous tombs of that Age.
Sporadic traces of Greek and Roman ages have been seen in numerous parts of the island.