- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
In 1061 Roger of Altavilla seized the town and the small fortress, making it a bridgehead for the Norman conquest and the driving away of Muslims from sicily. The incorporated in the royal property by Frederick IInd of Swabia, its new castle was inserted among the "castra exenta" under the direct royal jurisdiction. during the Vespers war (1282), Milazzo was in turn occupied by two rivai kings: Charles of Anjou and Peter of Aragon. For nearly a century, after having been conquered again by the Angevins in 1341, and until the beginning of the XVIth century, Milazzo was the centre of numerous and troubled war-events connected with those feudal conflicts which caused bloodshed in Sicily. The last, most important and imposing fortifications of the famous Castle that till today we can see, belong just to this period. It was also, several times, the sea of the Viceroy and the Lord-lieutenants of Sicily. The last flashes of the Spanish domination disappeared in 1713, when the sovereignity of Sicily passed to Victor Amadeus IInd of Savoy.
Useless was the attempt of reconquest from Philip Vth of Spain who employed the Austro-Piemontese troops in the big and bloody siege of the town from July 1718 to May 1719. During such a siege, the damages or the destructions of the historical and monumental wealth were heavy. After the settling of the Bourbons on the throne of the Two Sicilies, the town kept its strategical-military role. During the Napoleonic wars, it became an English fortress, lodging huge fleet and garrison. On July 20th 1860, Milazzo was the
theatre of the famous and decisive battle between Garibaldi's and Francis IInd Bourbon's troops. With the coming of the Kingdom of Italy, the town lost its strategico-military importance. During the last World War, Milazzo had heavy and bloody bombings. Locaded as a landing area in the English plan of invasion of Sicily, its harbour was considerably for the defence, as an important maritime, railway and military centre.