- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Alcamo, alt 258 m, 18 km from Segesta, where Ciullo (or Cielo) d'Alcamo was born, the poet to whom one of the first poems in Sicilian (1231-1250) is attributed: the dialogue "Rosa fresco aulentissima".
Alcamo Castle was built in 1340 by Raimondo Peralta. The development of Alcamo started some years later, with Guarnerio Ventimiglia. Let us now enter the town along Corso 6 Aprile, which is the main thoroughfare; in the first part is the Chiesa di San Francesco d'Assisi, founded in 1348; it contains some marbles attributed to Giacomo and Antonello Gagini.
Further along the Corso we come to the 15th c. Chiesa di San Tommaso, characterized by a refined portal. On the right, there is the Chiesa del Santissimo Salvatore, also called Badia grande (Great Abbey); it contains paintings by Pietro Novelli and a statue of St Benedict, by Antonino Gagini.
A few steps away, in Piazza IV Novembre, stands the Duomo: of 14th c. origin it was restructured in the 17th and 18th c.; many of the decorations (frescoes and paintings) were done by Wilhelm Borremans. Opposite the Duomo is the former Chiesa di San NicolÚ di Bari (1558). In Piazza Ciullo d'Alcamo stands the Chiesa di Sant'Oliva, built by Biagio Amico in 1723, with a fine statue of St Oliva, by Antonello Gagini (1511), and a painting by Pietro Novelli, Liberation of the Souls from Purgatong.
In the part of the square is the Chiesa del Collegio Gesuitico, built in 1684. A lane to the left of the church takes us to the monumental Castle.
Alcamo accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Alcamo holiday in Hotel