- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
The town Calatafimi Segesta, 5 km from Segesta, alt. 338 m, developed around the Byzantine stronghold of Castrum Phimes, which under the Arabs became Kalat al Fimi. It always played a very important strategic role. A city of the royal domain unti11336, it then became a fief of the Counts of Modica, of the Speciales and the Aiutamicristos.
In the vicinity is the hill known as Pianto Romano, where on 15 May 1860 the first and decisive battle was fought between Garibaldi's army and the Bourbon troups, which opened the way to the conquest of the Island.
In the upper part of town studs the Castle (remauv), built in the 13th c. The Chiesa Madre of Calatafimi, San Silvestro Papa, dates from the Middle Ages; altered in the 16th c., it has a nave and two aisles, and is embellished by a great marble icon of the Virgin and Child roith Saints, by Bartolomeo Berrettaro (1512).
The Chiesa del Crocifisso, designed in the 18th c. by Giovanni Biagio Amico, is characterized by its spacious single-hall interior, decorated with frescoes and stuccos. The noteworthy feature of the Chiesa di Santa Caterina is its unusually long and sinuous single-hall plan. The church contains a painting of St Benedict (1626). The Chiesa di San Michele (late 16th c.) was restructured in the 19th c.; the interior is simple, with smooth columns and round arches. In the presbytery there is a statue of St Michael (1499), of the Gagini school.
Calatafimi Segesta accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Calatafimi Segesta holiday in Hotel