Ustica Island Italy History Hotels Ustica Island Accommodation Hotel in Ustica Island B&B Ustica Island Lodging Ustica Island Residences Ustica Island Farm Holiday Ustica Island Special Offers Ustica Island Hospitality Ustica Island
History - The first name of Ustica was Osteodes that in Greek means ossuary and it was so defined because there have been found skeletons of 6.000 Carthaginan soldiers. Then the isle was peopled by Romans who called it Ustum that means burned because of its black volcanic cliffs.
Normans built a benedectine monastery and it has been in their possession until the XIV century when it was occupied by Saracens. In the following four centuries it has been fortress of pirates until 1763 when it became seat of Borboni family. In the 1763 arrived in Ustica from Palermo a contingent of soldiers and laborers, that they began the construction of fortifications on the hill of the Falconiera, let alone of two towers of sight was sent to Ustica on the opposite points of the coast: over the cove of S. Maria and that one of Spalmatore Tip. In the same year 85 families of peasants and fishermen from the Aeolian ones arrived, let alone some craftsman from Palermo and Trapani, for a total of 400 persons.
In the 1771 Ustica which university, common that is independent, was recognized. Also King, entrusted to the Cappuccini's fathers was constructed to the parochial church of Saint Ferdinand.
In the past century Ustica participated to the Risorgimentale motions and he received with enthusiasm the shipment of Garibaldi in Sicily. During the fascism there were confines many oppositors to the regimen, between which Carlo and Nello Rosselli, Ferruccio Parri and Antonio Gramsci, "tourists" they in spite of, were the first modern visitors to notice the charme of the island.