- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Even Montelaterone has kept its medieval structure almost intact. It is dominated by the remains of a Sienese castle (1369) in the upper part, has been built on the preexisting fortress, and reveals a solid hexagonal structure. It lies in a strategic position and dominates the valleys of the Lente and Zancona streams and the rich soil produces olive groves, vine-yards and other cultivations. It is amongst the first castles to be documented (1004). In 915 it belonged to the San Salvatore Abbey (Saxurn Laterone, Montelatrone); it was later contended by the Aldobrandeschi, Siena and Orrieto. The village which can be accessed through Porta senese and Porta di mezzo is covered with portals, inscriptions and coats of arms of incredible value. At the beginning of the toom there is the church of San Clemente, with ogival portal and sealed round opening and inside there is just one nave with trachytic pavement: inside there are works of art like a seventeenth century Crucifix, a seventeenth century painting of the Sienese school and a Sienese marble tabernacle (XV-XVI century). The church of the Misericordia outside the walls, holds frescoes by Francesco Nasini (XVII century) depicting the various saints amongst whom Francis, Sebastian, Bocco, Anthony and Bartolomeo. Next to the entrance junction there is the chapel of the Schiacciaie, decorated with precious fifteenth century frescoes.
Arcidosso accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Arcidosso holiday in Hotel
Hotels Monte Amiata
Hotels Grosseto and the Maremma