This typical medieval village, with its narrow streets and the houses all gathered around the castle, has a very ancient history. An urban settling had been probably existing there since the Etruscan age: this mysterious people settled in the area in order to take advantage of the great quantity of minerals existing.
Next to nothing we know about the Roman period, but someting concerning some thermal sources, which Romans were fond of.
Then, in the 8th C., the counts of Gherardesca built there a fortress, on the top of the hill, which became very poweful in the 10th C.
In 1158, the castle of Campiglia was under the republic of Pisa and later under the dominion of Florence, up to the years of the Kingdom of italy in 19th C.