Island of Giglio

Hotels Island of Giglio
- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Histoy

The Island of Giglio, from the greek Aegilion (goat), was already inhabited in the stone age and progressed in the bronze age. The Island was then inhabited by the Etruscans, as witnessed by several archeological remains, the most famous of which the relict of an Etruscan vessel, the recovery of which cast the lives of three members of the team from Oxford University. The ancient Romans installed a colony on the Island in the third century BC, during which time the island enjoyed a period of economie growth due to the excavation and exportation of the precious white granite. In 805 the island of Giglio and Giannutri were donated by Carlo Magno to the Abbey of the three fountains at Rome and in 1269 the Island passed to the Aldobrandeschi and then to the powerful Republic of Pisa to whom it owes the urban planning of the castle. At the beginning of the XV cent. the island became the property of the Medici of Florence and here began a period of great social development. Unfortunately in this period the Tirreno was infested by pirates and even the Island of Giglio, which was an important part for sea traffic suffered from their attacks, the gravest being those of the algerian pirate Barbarossa, which led to the total exodus of the population. The Medici then repopulated the Island and fortified the castle for their protection. After the last attack by the turks in 1799, which was courageously affronted by the population there followed a period of greater safety which stimulated the economy and the increase of the population.

At Island of Giglio, there is tourist accommodation available in hotels, farm holiday, farmhouse, residence self-catering accommodation, b&b, rooms for rent, holiday homes, camp sites and tourist villages.