- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Art & Archaeology
The urbanistic structure of Capalbio has remained intact. The original town-planning probably goes back to the Aldobrandi rule (11-12th century). The village is surrounded by walls that can be walked all around as at their top they have the so-called "patrol communication-trenches". The historical centre can be reached through two entrances: the first is the Sienese gate which still preserves its 15th-century wooden shutters and locks. Over this entrance an inscription can be seen in remembrance of the fall of the town under the Republic of Siena (1416). The inscription is crowned by a double coat of arms portraying a lion seizing a bald head, or "caput album", that is to say a white head from which the name of Capalbio derives. The other entrance is called "Porticina" (the small gate). Of great importance is the Romanesque Church of Saint Nicholas which has at its side a bell tower featuring two 12-century rows of mullioned windows with two lights. The facade of the Church of St Nicholas has a very simple structure; its plan is rectangular with one nave and eight side rhapels. On the inner side of the facade, over the holy water stoup, there is a very interesting, although faded and halved, fresco portraying St Sebastian. The chapels on the right host valuable frescoes of the 14th century Umbrian school, while the chapels on the left host frescoes of the 13th century Sienese school. In the,northern part of the village, following the "patrol communication-trenches", you can reach the Collacchioni palace, the old Aldobrandi's castle. Here the 12th-century defence tower stands out. Outside the walls, in Piazza Prowidenza (Providence Square), there is the Oratory of the Providence which houses a splendid fresco by an artist of the 15th century Umbrian-Latian school, very close to the art of Perugino and Pinturicchio.