- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
The town of Cinigiano is located in the area of Grosseto, at 324 meters a.s.l. Medieval castle it was capital of a Podesta Office in the Mediceo period. In 1956 it suffered the detachment of the district of Montenero, aggregated to the municipality of Castel del Piano.
In the Medieval era the Lords were the descendents of Bernardino di Cinigiano, tied by a bond of Vassal to the Counts Aldobrandeschi of the Santa Fiora branch. In 1254, the sons of Bernardino placed the castle and its district under a partnership to the republic of Siena, renewing thus an act of submission to which above all they did not demonstrate too much loyalty, accustomed as they were to tyrannise the poor population of Cinigiano. After the nth proof of disloyalty Siena proclaimed in 1278, Bernardino di Cinigiano, son of the family founder, with the accusation of having attacked a French prelate who was staying at Viterbo with the court of Pope Giovanni XXI.
Towards the end of the XIV century Cinigiano was passed, through events not clear, under the Lordship of the Counts Guidi di Poppi and di Battifolle. In 1389, Siena decided to recuperate the castle by paying 2,500 gold florins to Count Francesco di Ugone di Battifolle, but again at the beginning of the XV century Cinigiano was dependent to the same Lords. Only in 1404 the inhabitants, free of the Lords of the Casentinese lineage, submitted themselves to the Siena republic, with whom there was a sympathy. In 1766 Pietro Leopoldo di Lorena decreed that its territory would become part of the new Grosseto Province.
In the town of Cinigiano one can visit the Church of Saint Archangel Michael of the XVI century and the Chapel of Saint Mary of the Snow of the XV century.
Cinigiano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Cinigiano holiday in Hotel
Hotels Monte Amiata
Hotels Tuscany Wine Roads