- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Rufina is a village of Etruscan origin, covering a total area of 46 sqm. The municipal territory reaches out over the hills East of the river Sieve, for centuries land of olive groves and, most of all, vineyards: Rufina, as a matter of fact, is also the name of an excellent type of Chianti.
The Rufina developed at the basis of Poggio Reale, a hillock set in a strategic position, where stands a beautiful villa, today seat of the Museo della Vite e del Vino (Museum of vine and wine). Along the opposite bank of the river, lies Montebonello, part of the municipality of Pontassieve.
Other communities are: Contea, administratively shared with the municipality of Dicomano, with its own railway station; Scopeti, where in recent years a small industrial area developed, with its own railway station; Pomino, a nice hamlet on the southern side of the valley, famous for its wine and, once, its landscapes; Turicchi, Casi, Falgano, Castelnuovo, communities that have kept their rural charm untouched.
Places of interest at Rufina: Villa di Poggio Reale, constructed in the 16th- century, it features a three-arch open gallery held aloft by pillars. The doors open to reveal a grand stairway that leads to the immense underground cellars of the current owners, the Counts Spalletti, and is full of old vats and barrels. The villa is used these days for conferences and exhibitions, and on its upper level contains the Valdisieve Wine Museum.
Chiesa di Santo Stefano a Castiglioni. This 12th-century Romanesque church contains a picture of the Virgin with Child from the 13th-century, a fresco of the Virgin with Child, Angels, Santo Sebastian and Anchorite from 1532, and a marble holy water font from the 16th-century.
Pieve di San Bartolomeo in Pomino. This parish church was built circa the 12th- or 13th-century, and has since been restored numerous times. It houses several items of interest: a terracotta statue of the Virgin Crowned with Child and Saints, attributed to Luca della Robbia; a tablet of the Virgin with Child and Saints dating from the 15th-century; a fresco of St. John the Apostle from the 14th- or 15th-century.
Chiesa di Santa Maria del Carmine ai Fossi, restored by the parish in 1924, this church retains a Renaissance portico. Chiesa di San Pietro a Petrognano, restored in 1925, it features a portico with arches on stone pillars. Inside, the altar is partly made from pietra serena.
Rufina accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Rufina holiday in Hotel
Hotels Florentine mountain
Hotels Tuscany Wine Roads