- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services - Leisure Time -
Photo G. Pierozzi aut. SMA concessa
Fucecchio is first mentioned at the end of the 10th century, but the village is strictly connected to the name of the Cadolingi from Borgonuovo who about the year 1000 took as their residence the castle of Salamarzana on top of the hill that was the center of their Signoria. Fucecchio became famous as an important meeting point: on its lands, in fact, the navigable Arno and the river Usciana came together at the intersection of the roads between Pisa, Pistoia, and the road from France. Here are some places to visit in Fucecchio.
In the upper part of the village, an imposing stairway leads to the piazzale called Poggio Salamartano, where there is a splendid view of the surrounding region of Cerbaia and the Lower Valdarno. In the abbey of San Salvatore there are preserved paintings by Vasari, Allori, and Francesco Mati. Next to the oratory of the Misericordia a small museum has been built: here there are collections of gold objects, sacred vestments, and wonderful paintings by Tuscan artists of the 15th-17th centuries. The church of Saint John the Baptist, built in the 10th century, was entirely restructured and rebuilt in the 1700's, although its facade was never completed. Inside there is a painting of the Madonna and Child with Saints and a Baptism of Christ by a painter of the Florentine school (early 16th century) and frescoes by Domenico Bamberini.
Also worthy of a visit is the Padule di Fucecchio, one of the largest Italian swamps. Here there are numerous species of plants and animals, and it is an excellent place for bird-watching.
Fucecchio accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Fucecchio holiday in Hotel
Hotels Lands of Reinassance
Hotels Valdelsa Fiorentina