- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Piteglio is located between the Torbecchia and the Liesina valleys and owes its origins to a military garrison erected by the Liguri in ancient Roman times. Of the castle remains a watchtower, which today, constitutes the bell tower of the Santa Maria Assunta church. The latter, founded in the 13th century owes its present aspect to the last modifications carried out in the 19th century.
The nearby town of Popiglio, feud of the count Guidis since around the year one thousand, preserves, together with the two towers and the remains of the castle, the parish church of Santa Maria Assunta, one of the most important monuments of the Pistoiese Mountain area. Founded in 1271, and transformed between the 15th and the 16th century, the church preserves intact the late Romanesque sandstone surface and the portals of the front and of the access to the bell tower decorated with bas-relief. Inside, of particular interest there is the pulpit with Romanesque bas-reliefs. In the church sacristy and in the nearby Compagnia del Santissimo Sacramento, there is the Museum of Holy Art, being part of the Religiosità Popolare itinerary of the Pistoiese Mountain Ecomuseum.
Piteglio accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Piteglio holiday in Hotel
Hotels Pistoia Mountains