Poggio a Caiano
- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Poggio a Caiano is located 8 kilometers south of Prato, where via Roma crosses state highway 66 that runs from Florence to Pistoia. The town was already well-known in the 13th century because of its importance as a river port on the Ombrone, but it became even more important when the Medici family acquired ownership of the fortified mansion of the Strozzi family where they built villa "Ambra".
As soon as we enter the town we encounter the huge structure of the Medici Stables, splendidly restored and now consisting of structures offering hospitality for guests, conference halls and areas for exhibitions and other cultural initiatives. The stables were annexed to the villa (built by Baccio Bigio around 1540) and are part of the vast, complex territorial experiment undertaken by Lorenzo il Magnifico, including the park and farms of the Cascine. As we climb the little hill that leads to the entrance of the villa, on our right is the 19th century city hall that was created by restructuring a group of buildings annexed to the Medici property.
Poggio a Caiano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Poggio a Caiano holiday in Hotel
Hotels Tuscany Wine Roads