- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Near the Cathedral, in Piazza della LibertÓ we can see the Town Hall, built in 1337 and which was originally a tower-house; the only part remained of the original 14th century structure is that facing Via Ricasoli. Before leaving the highest part of the city we suggest go down Via Sassoverde to the church of S. Domenico, a Gothic basilica founded in1275 and finished at the beginning of the 14th century, which has a bell-gable with two bells hung in, and where you find an interesting Crucifix by the young Cimabue (1240-1302). This crucifix has a strong sense of form: Christ, in the pangs of the death and mastering the contorted position of his body (Byzantine in style), appears to shrink, stoop and stiffen in the last dramatic moments of his life; the Virgin Mary and St. John the Evangelist seem to bow their head and suffer togheter with Christ.
The tour of Arezzo is not to be considered over if it doesn't include the visit to the late Gothic Church of Our Lady of Mercy, or S. Maria delle Grazie, which dates from the first half of the 15th century and replaced the oratory in 1435-1444. The facade, an artistic jewel, is almost completely covered by the Loggia, built by Benedetto da Maiano, with the external stairway erected towards the end of 15th century.
Arezzo has always been a lively city from the economic point of view and its economy is thriving; Arezzo in fact is rich of commercial activities so it can offer tourists many opportunities to buy everything they want and it's easy and amusing making shopping through the streets.