- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Rignano sull'Arno is located in a prevalently hilly zone, southeast of Florence in the Upper Valdarno, the country town of Rignano sull'Arno lies within the generous curve created by the left bank of the river Arno.
Probably a Roman settlement (hence the toponym), mention of Rignano begins in the year 1000, as a town that arose in the vicinity of the parish church of San Leolino, and later as "ruined castle" in the 12th century. The castle of Case Rignano remains on the hill that overlooks the town. The development of the current settlement probably owes itself to building the bridge over the Arno. This bridge has marked the life of the town, and has often been destroyed by floods, such as the floods of 1422, 1459, as well as those of the 17th and 18th centuries, which were particularly memorable. It became a Commune in 1773, by the decision of the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo, who formed the new entity of Rignano by dividing Pontassieve into thirteen parishes.
Rignano sull'Arno was the birthplace of Lapo da Castiglionchio, the literary man Vespasiano da Bisticci, and the painter Ardengo Soffici.
Rignano sull'Arno accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Rignano sull'Arno holiday in Hotel
Hotels Chianti Colli Fiorentini Wine Road
Hotels Chianti Geografico
Hotels Tuscany Wine Roads
Hotels Valdarno Superiore Fiorentino