- Restaurants - Typical Products -
Welcome to Kastelruth/Castelrotto, the sunny side of South Tyrol. Here, on the edge of the Dolomites, nature has always been particularly generous. Plenty of sunshine, healthy air and an enchanting landscape of unequalled beauty make it the ideal place to relax. There is a cosy, family atmosphere: stress and pressure are things people have only heard about. Kastelruth /Castelrotto is the main town of the Schlern/Sciliar plateau, as proves its impressive bell tower, which is the highest in the entire area and is visible far away. The tower dominates the square and the imposing buildings in the town centre. It was rebuilt after the great fire of 24th May 1753. The St. Peter and Paul church was mentioned as a parish back in 1191, was later renovated and enlarged (1482 and 1704) and then destroyed by the fire mentioned above. The present church was built in the neo-classicist period and was consecrated in 1849.
The tower, detached from the church, hosts Mary's chapel with a polychrome marble altar from the mid 18th century. Following the restoration works, the crypt with 50 burial chambers (of which only one is still occupied) was opened in 1976. The beautiful Kraus tombstone was placed here and a simple memorial plate with a mosaic recalls the figure of Professor Leo Santifaller, great historian and freeman of Kastelruth /Castelrotto. The "Krausegg" Palace - today seat of the town hall - stands on the town square. Kastelruth's /Castelrotto's recent history is closely linked to the Lords of Kraus.
Castelrotto accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Castelrotto holiday in Hotel
Hotels Alpe di Siusi
Hotels Dolomites South Tyrol
Hotels Natural Park Sciliar-Catinaccio
Hotels Schlern Region
Hotels Ski resorts in South Tyrol