Città della Pieve
- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Città della Pieve is the main artistic and architectural centre of Trasimeno and it is one of the most important towns in the whole of Umbria. Situated on a hilltop 508 metres above sea level, on the borders of Tuscany and Umbria, Città della Pieve dominates the Chiana Valley (Valdichiana) and Lake Trasimeno. The rose-coloured houses, resulting from the terracotta which, since 1200 is produced on the premises, makes Città della Pieve similar to its near-by neighbour Siena.
Today, the two cities still maintain cultural and economic ties. The countryside, of great pictorial fascination, inspired the famous landscapes of native-born Pietro Vannucci, known as Il Perugino, one of the great renaissance painters and master of Raffaello, who left many works to postery. During the Etruscan period its territory was under the rule of the important city of Chiusi.
The present inhabited area has its origins in the early medieval period. It grew around a church which was dedicated to Saint Gervasio and Protasio and was completed in 1326 with the construction of the Rocca (fortress) for the Perugians who, after the death of Emperor Federico II, imposed their rule up to 1529 until it went under the leadership of the church headed by Pope Clement VII de Medici.
Città della Pieve accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Città della Pieve holiday in Hotel