- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
Sellano, situated in the valley of the stream Vigi, a right-hand tributary of the Nera river, was founded in around 84 B.C. by the Romans. Never having been strong enough to win its independence, but being of great stategic importance because of its geographic situation, its fate through the centuries was always linked to that of the neighbouring cities. In the following epocas, it therefore fell under the rule of the Duchy of Spoleto, then under that of the Papal State and finally, under the lordship of the Collicola family.
To see in the historic centre: the Palazzo Comunale is the municipal office building; it has a 15C facade and contains ruined 16C frescoes. The Church of San Francesco is more commonly known as the Church of the Madonna della Croce; completed in 1538, the church is octagonal in shape with a pronaos surmounted by a tympanum and a rectangular apse. The nave has three aisles, while the chapels all contain 15C altars of wood or stone. The Church of Santa Maria was built in the 13C and rebuilt in the 16C; it contains 16C and 17C canvases, a carved walnut pulpit, and a I5C triptych with a gold background.
The environs: surrounding hamlets offer a wealth of ruined castles and works of art. In Cammoro the Church of Santa Maria Novella is a rare example of a pensile church; it is built over an ancient section of covered road, the openings to which are still visible. One opening is located below the present church facade and is partially obstructed by modern stairs leading to the church entrance. On the opposite side at a lower level the other opening once providing access to the village castle is no longer passable. Montesanto is an ancient castle once girdled by a wall, whole sections of which are still extant. The Casa della Posta takes its name from its former use as a mail collection point. The house conserves an inscription dating from 1542; a slot in the wall to the left has a sign dated 1632 which translates: "Put letters for mail here". A medieval castle with hexagonal towers is situated in Postignano. In Pupaggi the 13C Church of S. Sebastiano reveals its Romanesque origins in features of the outer lateral walls, while the facade appears to have been reworked. The church contains numerous frescoes from 14C, 15C, and 16C.
In Sterpare the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie contains a 13C wood sculpture representing the Madonna and Child. Villamagina is a locality known for its production of files and rasps. Although this activity goes far back in time, the files and rasps of Villamagina achieved renown only in the 18C. According to oral tradition it was a monk from Tuscany who, struck by the poverty he encountered, originally taught the local inhabitants the secrets of the trade.
Sellano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Sellano holiday in Hotel
Hotels Foligno and the Region