- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
In 2900 A.C. it was already a place of a megalithic appropriation. It represented the military centre of the Salassi people who were defeated by the Roman troops during the rule of Augusto, and the city was transformed into a military settlement named "Augusta Praetoria".
Ruins from that period are Augusto's Arch, an imposing monument to be found on the oriental margins of the town; the Praetoria Door, in perfect condition and formed the entrance to the town from the east; the Roman amphitheatre, of which remains today the main fašade - 22 metres high-. Remains from the medieaval period, during which Aosta was under the rule of Umberto di Biancamano, progenitor of the Savoia Earls, who maintained sovereignty for about nine centuries, are the monumental complex of Saint Orso, originally built in
Romansch style latter to have modifications in Gothic style; numerous towers, such as, the Tourneuve, the Bramafan tower, the Lebbroso tower, the Fromage tower, the latter two providing precious space for exhibitions.
The only building which reflects the Renaissance is the Palazzo Roncas, built during the first years of the 16th century by Baron Pierre-LŔonard Roncas, the first secretary of state of Duke Savoia. The real heart of Aosta is the Emile Chanox square, named after the martyr of the "valdastana" Resistance. Here is situated the neo-classicist colonnade building dating back to 1839 which is now the town hall. Hotel de Ville is connected to the building called Hotel des Etats, dating from 1724, in which the Assembly of the General States and the Conseil des Commis were held,
government elected by the General States from 1536 onwards.