- Restaurants - Typical Products - Services -
The origins of Mirano go back to ancient history. In fact the parish lies at the center of a large Roman encampment, with streets which cross at right angles, on the "grid" system, still easily recognisable today from the map. The Roman grid system seems to come to an end at the River Muson, possibly destroyed as a result of Venetian hydraulic engineering. However the Muson appears on the seal of the ancient Republic of Padua as a definite boundary. In fact in the Middle Ages this area gravitaded towards Padua, wich maintained a castle there during the reign of the Carraresi during the period of the great agricultural reclamation carried out by the Benedictines.
Mirano followed in the footsteps of Padua and also came under Venetian dominion in 1403. It later suffered devastation at the hands of the Imperial army in 1509 during the wars of the League of Cambrai. However, Venetian dominion, which lasted till 1797, populated Mirano with aristocratic villas, patrician and rural house which still beautify its countryside as part of a tremendous agricultural growth. A particular wine was produced which was much in demand by the navy because it withstood shaking and travelled so well. This period also saw the digging of the Taglio, a straight canal which connected the River Muson directly to the Riviera del Brenta and continued on under the name of "Nuovissimo" right along the lagoon until Chioggia. The canal made Mirano an important center of Veneto river navigation and encouraged its industrial and commercial development in the period immediately following the unification of Italy, until the age of road transport. Mirano is favoured from this point of view too, situated as it is at the centre of an excellent network of roads.
To see: San Michele Arcangelo Church bears XVII century characteristic, although it had been probably built on a more ancient one. Inside, two important frescos series depicting Faith and the Last Judgement. The church of Maria in Zianigo was originally built in the XVth century but completely changed in the XVIIIth century and enriched by frescoes by Giandomenico Tiepolo. The villa Michiel was built in the XVII century on behalf of the nobleman Marcantonio Michiel. The two-storeyed building is embellished with statues by Massari.
Villa Bembo in Campocroce is surrounded by a beautiful park. The villa was originally built in the XVIth century but completely restored in 1831. Villa Tiepolo in Zianigo is a typical example of Venetian villa, Villa Tiepolo was built on behalf of Cristoforo Angeloni in 1688. The villa passed to Giambattista Tiepolo, who lived there for a brief period, in 1757 and to his son Giandomenico, who lived here several years, enriching the villa with beautiful frescoes now in Ca' Rezzonico in Venice.
Mirano accommodation in Hotel Farm House Farm Holiday Bed&Breakfast Camping Holiday Home Rooms for rent Residence Tourist Village Camp site.
Mirano holiday in Hotel
Hotels Land of the Tiepolos